In January 2021, the WordPress Portmouth Meetp conducted an online Clinic. We attempted to answer questions and problems raised by members of the community. Some were answered there and then. Others took a little longer.
At the October 2020 WordPress Portsmouth Online Meetup – Gutenberg – the block editor there were a number of questions that were answered during the Q & A; and there were others that were posed but not fully covered. This post is a follow up for some of the questions.
For the remaining 6 months of 2020, the WordPress Portsmouth Meetup will remain online. I ( Herb ) will be creating the Events on Meetup.com and the website in due course. The proposed events are as follows.
|Date||Title||Speakers / Notes|
|22 July 2020||How to build a WordPress website – Part Two||Paul Tansom and Scott McKeown|
|19 August 2020||Plugin Kollektiv||Bernhard Kau, Torsten Landsiedel and Simon Kraft|
|16 September 2020||What’s new in WordPress 5.5 and how to use it. PLUS
What bugs you?
|21 October 2020||Gutenberg||Belinda Mustoe|
|18 November 2020||WP Plugin presentation||Joe Simpson jr|
|16 December 2020||Quiz and social||With tinsel and baubles|
Apart from July’s meeting, which was postponed for a week, all are being held on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, from 7pm.
There may still be a clash with other meetups: e.g. Cheltenham, Manchester, Edinburgh. But we do start slightly later. You can, if you wish, try to attend more than one meetup in an evening. I don’t recommend attending meetings concurrently.
We’ll continue to use Zoom and will record some of the meetings. We’ll edit the videos before publishing them on YouTube. This may not be done instantaneously.
Thanks to everyone who attended last night’s hands on problem solving clinic;
- to those who were brave enough to air their problems
- and those who attempted to help solve them
We had a range of problems to solve. Some of them a lot harder than others.
Here’s a summary of the problems that I know were discussed. I understand that a few were at least partially resolved.
Starting from January 2019 the WordPress Portsmouth Meetup, aka WordUp Pompey! is changing from the 4th Thursday of the month to the 3rd Wednesday.
In 2019 we’ll finalise the meetups month by month.
This website wp-pompey.org.uk will have the draft agendas and topics for forthcoming months.
We’ll try to confirm the agenda before it appears in your WordPress dashboard.
We have a couple of new speakers lined up for our meetups in the first quarter.
Watch this space.
At the December meetup there were a number of topics suggested for Lean Coffee discussions and a number of members volunteered to give Lightning talks. This table is a summary taken from the flip chart. We plan to address these during our 2019 meetups.
Slides from the WordPress Portsmouth Meetup’s “Practical Security Workshop”; getting around to it! Continue reading “Practical Security Workshop slides”
Please find below the introductory / agenda slides to the WordPress Portsmouth Meetups from April to September 2018. Continue reading “WordPress Portsmouth Meetup agenda slides April to September 2018″
The WordPress Portsmouth Meetup in March 2018 took the form of a clinic where people briefly described their immediate problems then we teamed up to help solve them.
In case there were no problems I prepared 4 problems associated with our Meetup group’s websites.
Suffice it to say
- We didn’t need them.
- I have been working on them.
Here’s a sanitised list of some of the topics that were raised.
- Migration from WordPress eCommerce to WooCommerce:
- How to map taxonomies?
- Should customer lists and orders be migrated?
- Any recommendations for an RSS aggregator?
- Do we have to read all 50 pages every time there’s some GDPR news?
- Avada theme issues:
- Why do image file sizes increase?
- Is it true that related posts ignores the post’s category?
- How do I integrate a booking form?
- Live editing with Fusion builder:
- How do I clone a page?
- What happens if I save a live page as draft?
- How should I name my image files?
- Is there an SEO friendly way to format addresses and phone numbers
- What’s the difference between a widget in a side bar and a widget in content?
- What’s the best way of saying “We’re on holiday”?
- What parts of the database needs to be encrypted for GDPR? Can it be done?
- Who can help me with my Two Factor Authentication project.
- Where do I learn about WP-CLI?
- Do I still need a domain mapping plugin for WordPress MultiSite. Is Mercator much better than my current plugin?
- How do I get in the building when I arrive late?
I’d love to hear from everyone whether or not they found solutions to their problems.
Here’s a brief report following the Portsmouth WordPress Meetup on 22nd February 2018. Continue reading “Report from WordUp Pompey! 22nd Feb 2018″